Tuesday, April 3, 2007

More About Me....

So today I have been reading other peoples blogs and I came to realize a few new things about myself that these other people made me realize....

1. It's okay to miss a beloved pet...even if it has been gone for a long time. I was in grade 7 when our dog Chico was put down. I loved that dog very much and still miss him. I think because of this I tend to compare other dogs of ours to how Chico was and that's just not fair. Don't get me wrong...I loved the dogs we had...Mike was a great dog, but some of his habits I just couldn't get used to, and Shelby is a great dog too and with a little more training she'll only improve. So I need to realize that every dog is different, especially if you didn't get them as pups and train them yourself in the beginning. But I do love my dogs and really do appreciate them, I just think I need to appreciate them more for their own uniqueness. That's the one thing I regret not doing when Mike was still around...

2. The beauty of nature... I was reading "Mary's View" blog today and I must say she takes the most beautiful pictures! She takes her camera and takes pictures of everything in nature. She had pictures of so many different types of birds, her dogs, bees busy at work in a flower, flowers, her fish, etc... I love the beauty of nature and I don't know why, but it has honestly never occured to me to actually take the time to take a piture of it. I have recently started taking more scenic pictures, but now I sit here wondering if I could take pictures even a fraction as beautiful as hers. I know it would be more of a challenge to take a picture of a moving creature, but I think it would definitely be worth it in the end. I enjoy these types of pictures and plan on trying my hand at them very soon (except that I don't know how to post them to my site quite yet, so you'll just have to check out my flickr site to see my progress).

3. How much I love my fish... I know lots of people think fish are not much of a pet, but Cam & I would surely disagree. As of now we have four fish tanks on the go. One 10gallon, two 20 gallon, and a 37 gallon tank. It started out with me just wanting to have fish in my life again, so I convinced Cam to let me get a tank. Well my wanting to just have fish around became a point of interest in both of our lives very quickly. We had started out with just a few goldfish in the 10 gallon tank. But soon after we were presented with many opportunities to expand on our collection. There was a fish tank for sale at our church garage sale for $20 which included everything including some guppies and some tetras. It was still there at the end of the day so we bought it. Our babysitter was also looking at getting rid of her 20 gallon tank, so she gave it to us for free along with her 5" Plecostomus. And our big tank we decided that for Christmas we would buy it as a joint present to each other. So now we have a very wide variety of fish. We now have goldfish, angelfish, guppies, plecos, tetras, black skirts, barbs and loaches....but definitely not in the same tank! We already need to buy a bigger tank for my angels as they are quickly outgrowing the one they're in. But our ultimate goal is to have a pond in our backyard. But that will have to wait until the girls are older due to me having a bad experience when I was quite young...so we're looking at about 5 years away minimum!

It's amazing what you get when you actually take the time to read what other people are taking the time to tell you about their own lives. With them taking the time it helped me remember and realize some things about myself! And I truely thank you for that!