Monday, May 12, 2008

Unwanted Answers

For the last couple of months I have had something on my mind that has really been bothering me. I have been having pain in my lower abdomen for many months now (kinda startling back in September already) and just these last two months it has been a daily pain. So I had gone to my doctor to get some answers. She had a feeling that it was due to ovarian cysts, so she set up an ultrasound and sent me for some blood work (I'll explain reasons in a bit). So after waiting a month to get in for an ultrasound the day came. It was beacuse of the ultrasound that I had to make sure I was home from BC so quickly. So there was a little awkwardness with the ultrasound that I don't want to get into, but they got what they needed. This was on April 30th. Last Wednesday I got a call from my doctor confirming that it was little cysts. But she said that they don't do anything about them unless they grow large and to keep taking advil for the pain.

Now a little more info:

There are a couple of reasons that affect me and make me wonder why they don't do anything. 1. The pain. Seriously, how good is it for me to be taking advil everyday?? They don't seem to be going away anytime soon! The pain partially comes form them popping. When I'm lying on my back the girls try sitting on me, but i have to boot them off because it hurts. Some days it just really hurts and people that don't know take it the wrong way as me being in a bad mood, depressed, etc...

2. It affects my reproduction crap. So this means I only get my period every 2-3 months. But it also means that if I were to try and get pregnant that I would have a very hard time doing so (luckily our family is already complete). We also think that I had them before I was pregnant with Mya because I was missing periods (while on the pill) and it had taken quite awhile for a test to come back positive.

3. It can affect your insulin. This is the main thing that has me worried. This is why I had to get blood work. Somehow it affects how your body makes insulin and can cause diabetes. As it is diabetes runs high in my family and now to have something else make it even higher kinda scares me.

So there it is, everything that I know about this. So now I have to do some more research and then make another appointment and talk more with my doctor.