Wednesday, May 9, 2007

An Update....

I know that it has been a little while since I last posted. But I guarentee that there is good reason for it. On Friday I had learned that my Dad has cancer on his right kidney. So here's the story....

So my parents were down on Friday and they said it was because they needed to do some shopping. I knew this was a lie because my sister lives at home and she said there was a doctors appointment booked but no one knew what for. Since they weren't willing to tell me about it I didn't push the subject. They had stopped by just before going into the city and they had stopped by again after it was done. One of the reasons was because they had my new glasses with them. My sister just happened to be here at that time, so my Dad had said that he had a doctors appointment and needed to talk to us. This is never good news for us. He has diabetes and is already taking two needles a day to help control it and also it hasn't even been two years since he had a seven bipass heart surgery. So upon hearing the "I need to talk to you two" needless to say we got very nervous. He had told us that he had gone to see a eurologist that day due to doctor recomendations. He had just been told that he had a cancer spot on his right kidney that was close to 3" in size and that it would need to be removed.

This all started about two months ago for him. At the beginning of the year he had been having some pains in his upper abdomen and they thought it was due to gallstones, so they booked him in for an ultrasound at the beginning of March. At the ultrasound they had seen something on his kidney. From there his doctor booked him in for a catscan. There they had seen that there was definitely something on his right kidney. A week and a half later he had gone to see the eurologist and this is the information that they told him....

They had told him that he had a cancer spot on his right kidney that needed to be removed before it spread to the rest of his body. But because they had caught it in time it hasn't spread to his lymphs or anywhere else except his kidney. So with having the surgery to remove it, he should be cancer free, which is a huge relief to all of us. They also said that his other kidney is in excellent condition so there are no worries there. They'll make four incisions for the operation and the biggest will be about an inch. He'll have to stay in the hospital for four days after and due to his medical history he has a pre-op the week before. After being released from the hospital he'll need to take it easy for about two weeks, but after that it should be like nothing ever happened. The surgery is to be expected to happen within the month.

So there it is in a nut shell about what has been going on with me and also one of the reasons I haven't kept up in my posts. But we're very thankful that it can be removed and it doesn't look like he needs chemo or anything like that. So its been a lot of bad news for my family but some good in there as well.